There are a number of easy ways to save on your electric bill, and they all start with YOU. When you save electricity, you save money on your utility bills. Here are just a few ways...
- Seal drafty doors and windows.
- Replace old insulation, or insulate the home if it is not already insulated.
- Get a thermostat with a timer, so a/c unit is not running when not needed.
- Check air ducts for leaks.
- Use ceiling fans or oscilating fans to keep air cool and circulating.
- Make sure a/c unit is the right size for the home.
- Turn lights off.
- Turn off electronics when not in use.
Heating and cooling a home amounts to approximately 45% of the total cost. For heating set the thermostat to the lowest comfortable setting. For cooling set the thermostat to the highest comfortable setting.
- Minimize shower time.
- Lower the temp on water heater to recommended.
- Install an insulated jacket on water heater.
- Use a hot water wash on only those clothing items that require it.
- Always use a cold rinse.
Water heating uses more than 10 to 20 percent of the average home's total energy use.